Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Cinema, Music, and Polyandry

Is there anything sweeter than the perfect marriage between film and soundtrack? And speaking of marriage, what do they call it if a woman has two (or more) husbands? Apparently not polygamy, but rather polyandry. Maybe it's just me, but when I see the word "polyandry", I just see the word "laundry", and 'lots of it...endless loads of multiple wash loads from multiple husbands. Yeehaw! Sign me up for this buy one get one or five husband free deal.
But there is one three way marriage I'm all for. The union of Harold, Maude and Cat...oops, sorry, Yusuf. Where would Harold and Maude be without the Cat, and I'd like to believe that everyday, someone in the world is turned on to the magic that is Mr. Stevens/Islam when they see "Harold and Maude" for the first time. Hal Ashby(RIP), the director, was one hell of a matchmaker. The Chuck Woolery of cult film, if you will.
I still cry when I see this (don't watch darn it, if ya haven't seen the flick...I ain't no supah-spoilah-sistah!)

An official "Harold and Maude" soundtrack is not available (BOO!). Apparently it was released once on vinyl on Japanese import. But due to the wonders of the internet you can surely assemble and customize your own. Think of it like musical LEGO.


currently listening to: Sufjan Stevens, Seven Swans

No comments: